All policies are available in our Student and Family Handbook.
Policies that have been adapted for remote learning are available in the COVID Addendum to the Student & Family Handbook.
Bullying & Sexual Assault or Harassment
Safety & Discipline
For all policies on safety and discipline, see pages 32–42 of the Student & Family Handbook.
See pages 21–23 of the Student & Family Handbook for information about our grievance procedure.
Attendance: Remote or Hybrid (Remote/In-person) Schedules
In accordance with District of Columbia Public Schools’ mandatory attendance laws (D.C. Law 8-247), attendance will be taken daily, whether a student is learning remotely; in the school building; or by a combination of the two, on a hybrid (remote/in-person) schedule.
Because remote learning happens both synchronously and asynchronously, Creative Minds will take attendance on the basis of student engagement, which will be measured through touch points. Attendance will not be measured merely by the number of hours a student spends in a live online lesson.
These are the top three ways that a teacher will measure student attendance:
- Through a student’s engagement in live, synchronous instruction and activities
- By completion of exit tickets, which demonstrate a student’s completion of work
- Through a student’s timely completion of assignments
Hours: Remote Learning
Preschool–4th: 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
5th–8th: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m
A remote school day will consist of synchronous and asynchronous learning activities. While students are learning remotely, each Wednesday of classes will be a half day of professional development for staff.
Hours: In-person School Day for Students on a Hybrid Schedule
Preschool–4th: 8:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
5th–8th: 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
If Creative Minds offers a hybrid schedule, an in-person school day will have staggered start and dismissal times to support social distancing. Details will be released in a Welcome Packet for In-person Learning.
Attendance: In-person Learning
- We ask that all students be in their classrooms by 8:45 a.m. daily.
- Students arriving after 8:45 a.m. must be signed in at the front desk.
- Absences are considered unexcused unless we receive a note or email from the parent or a doctor/dentist, or a call to the absence line: (202) 588-0370, Option 2.
- If you know in advance that your child will be tardy or absent, please contact your child’s teacher or our registrar, Aura Matias, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See page 35 of the Student and Family Handbook for our complete Attendance Policy.