CMI counts on the support and engagement from our families to sustain the positive and vibrant community life of our school. We prioritize meaningful opportunities for family engagement because we understand that active parental involvement improves student academic performance and contributes to a positive school climate.
Families at CMI take an active part in student learning. We invite families to join us for Exit Point activities in the classroom, student performances, Family Nights, Parent Workshops, parent-teacher conferences, community meetings, field days, and other events throughout the year. We keep our families up-to-date on school happenings through weekly school newsletters, weekly classroom newsletters, our Facebook page, and our Twitter account.
The Creative Families Association
The Creative Families Association (CFA) represents parents and guardians at Creative Minds International Public Charter School. The CFA is an inclusive and open space for all CMI families and welcomes all levels of involvement, from volunteering for leadership positions to participating in CFA events. For more information about the CFA, please visit the Creative Families Association website.
- We ask that all students be in their classrooms by 8:45 a.m. daily.
- Students arriving after 8:45 a.m. must be signed in at the front desk.
- Absences are considered unexcused unless we receive a note or email from the parent or a doctor/dentist, or a call to the absence line: (202) 588-0370, Option 2.
- If you know in advance that your child will be tardy or absent, please contact your child’s teacher or our registrar, Aura Matias, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parking, Drop-off Lane & Driving Safely on the AFRH Campus
The AFRH takes parking very seriously. CMI’s use of the parking areas on campus has been strictly defined, and we must adhere to the rules to maintain our parking privileges. See our campus map for the locations of entrance and exit gates and the CMI parking lot for families and visitors.
Parking in unauthorized spaces is illegal and may result in AFRH ticketing cars, as well as revoking a family’s driving privileges and access to campus. If infractions continue, it is possible that all CMI family parking will be prohibited. We ask all families to help by following these rules:
- If you’re talking on your phone while driving on campus, you must use a hands-free device.
- Enter and exit campus through Harewood Gate, at 61 Harewood Road NW, from 7:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 6:15 p.m.
- Enter and exit through Eagle Gate, at 140 Rock Creek Church Road NW, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Park ONLY in Lot 5. You may not park or stand in Lot 2 (the lot closest to the play space), not even for afternoon dismissal.
- SLOW DOWN in the drop-off lane (available from 8:15 a.m. to 8:45 a.m.). Pull up to the curb but not onto the sidewalk. Proceed carefully and stay aware of the many children around you.
- During drop-off, pull up all the way to the end of the lane. Move quickly in helping your child out of the vehicle; staff are there to assist.
- DO NOT park in the drop-off lane or leave your car unattended, not even for a few seconds to walk your child into school.
- DO NOT leave your vehicle in fire lanes or areas marked by cones at any time.
- DO NOT double park in the drop-off lane or block the handicapped spots at the end of the drop-off lane.
- DO NOT park in residents’ spaces, assigned parking spaces, or the lot for Lincoln’s Cottage.
- When walking to the school or to the lower school dismissal area, walk only on sidewalks and cross only at crosswalks; do not cross anywhere else.
- Carpool when possible.
Inclement Weather: Delays & Closings
CMI follows the weather-related delays and cancellations of DC Public Schools. You’ll find these announcements here:
Radio: WMAL (630 AM), WOL (1450 AM), Radio America—Spanish (1540 AM), WTOP (103.5 FM), WAMU (88.5 FM), and WHUR (96.3 FM).
TV: network channels 4, 5, 7, and 9, as well as cable channels 8, 16, and 28.
DCPS: information will be available by phone, at (202) 442-5885, and online.
In August 2019, we’re switching from the Home Access Center to PowerSchool, our new student-data-management platform. PowerSchool will improve school communications and make it easier for you to see your child’s grades and performance in real time. We’ll post more information here after PowerSchool has been set up and is ready for families to sign in to.
Helpful Links and Resources for Families
Guides to CMI & the School Year
OSSE Health Profile 2018–19 School Year (Note that though this is the most recent profile, some information, such as the names of teachers, is no longer current for the 2019–20 school year.)
Extended Creative Day
CMI’s Open Board Meeting Policy
The Board’s overall objective is to conduct school business in a transparent manner; many Board documents, including financial statements, are available for view online. While many Board meetings deal with personnel issues, awards, or other matters of confidential nature, we will hold a minimum of one open Board meeting in the Fall per school year. We will announce the date of this open meeting on the CMI website, and in an email to the CMI community, at least ten days in advance. This schedule complies with CMI’s bylaws, which specify there shall be at least ten meetings of the Board held each year. Members of the CMI community who wish to contact the Board are welcome do so at any time.
Connect with Us!
On Twitter: @CMIPCS
On Facebook: www.facebook.com/CMIPCS
On Instagram: @CMIPCS