Family Workshop (and Resources): Holiday Mental Health
On December 19, 2020, school counselor Brooke Shafer and school-based therapist Julie Klein—a.k.a. Ms. Brooke and Ms. Julie—presented an online family workshop on supporting mental health, addressing challenging emotions, and connecting with loved ones over the holidays. Watch a recording of the workshop on the Creative Minds YouTube channel.
See these articles, courtesy of Brooke and Julie, for tips on helping children cope during what may be a more challenging and less socially connected holiday season than in years past:
- COVID-19 Parental Resources Kit
- Holidays During the Pandemic
- 10 phrases to help kids cope with holiday disappointment this year
- Tips for parents on managing holiday stress
- Wendt Center for Loss and Healing: Grieving in Uncertain Times and Rethinking Rituals
Brooke and Julie recommend these community and national organizations for the behavioral-health support they offer to families:
National Crisis Text Line: text HOME to 741741.
Catholic Charities: ChAMPS Local crisis line, ages 6 to 17: (202) 481-1440
DC Health Access HelpLine for Adults: 1 (888) 793-4357
Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1 (800) 273-8255
- For Creative Minds Families: School Therapy-Referral Form and Guide
- Flier Introducing Julie Klein
- Questions? Email email@example.com
Julie comes to Creative Minds through our partnership with Paving the Way.
Please email Brooke Shafer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Julie Klein (email@example.com) with questions about the resources that are linked to from this page or accessing support for your child.